Tuesday 3 July 2012

A very British drought

The powers that be announced a drought sometime around May. This, of course, resulted in the heavens opening and rain pouring from the skies for 40 days and nights. Then it just carried on raining.

This put my cycling on hold for a bit. Call me a fair weather cyclist and you'd be right. But I have my reasons...

While there are showers at work, there is nowhere to dry a towel and short of draping wet clothes around my desk (which I'm sure my colleagues would love), I'd just have to put them all back on again to cycle home at the end of the day. Bleugh. Cold, wet, clammy shorts? No thanks.

So I didn't cycle to work for around a month. It was frustrating, as it felt as though my progress was starting to slide backwards.

A few dry days towards the end of June helped to get me started again, and I cycled in 3 days on the trot. I also worked out why cyclists wear lycra - when you get wet it dries out a lot quicker, and it's also a lot lighter than soggy cotton/khaki shorts which just soak up rainwater.

My journey time is now down to 55 minutes on the way in, slightly longer on the way home. I can't work out if this is because I'm tired by then, or due to more traffic on the roads etc.

It's all the more confusing as, according to my bike computer, it's 9.1 miles on the way in (14.6km) and only 8.7 miles (14km) on the way home. How does that work?

But anyway, I'm back in the saddle again. And yes, it's still bloody raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment