Monday 2 July 2012

Small, sweaty steps

So... the first training session. Well, the free training session. I hadn't really considered a personal trainer up to this point. It's too expensive I thought, I'll just try and remember what he shows me then do it by myself...

I was expecting to be re-introduced to lots of machines I'd used previously. You know, the leg machines, chest press, treadmill, things with weights on etc.

But not really. We started with a warm up on the rowing machine (3 reps of 30 secs) and a few minutes on the cross-trainer, then we tried something a little different, involving something called TRX suspension training.

Imagine if you will, a solid metal frame, bolted to the gym floor, from which dangle lengths of straps similar to car safety belts. These are all adjustable and have handholds/hoops on the ends.

A bit like this, to give you an idea.

So, first of all, feet on the ground directly underneath the contraption, lean back on your heels, then pull yourself upright, keeping your back straight and then lowering yourself back to where you were. It's a bit like a reverse push up but you're using your own body weight to work against. Ow. That hurt.

Next up, extend the straps to about a foot above floor height. Now, on hands and knees, gradually put your feet into the hoops, position arms so that you can take your full weight on them and then straighten legs - before bending your knees and pulling your feet towards your tummy, then back to where you were. Repeat. I think I may have uttered 'OH MY GOD' after number one, as my muscles were suddenly brought straight out of hibernation. I couldn't speak after that. I think I managed 3 x 5 reps before crashing in a heap.

If my description above makes no sense, take a look at this instead. (No, that's not me, I'm not daft enough to let someone FILM me when I'm puce in the face and gasping for air). And I wouldn't be able to speak and do it at the same time.

Oh but the worst... the tricep exercises. So there is a small metal bench, about 10 inches of the floor. Sit on this, legs out straight in front and shuffle forwards a bit so that your arms are behind you, then lower your bum down to just above the floor and then pull yourself up again. And repeat. ARGH! After about 8, my arms folded. The rest I did with bent legs which still hurt like crazy. Not fun. This was officially THE WORST ONE.

We then worked out I'm rubbish at push ups, had terrible upper body strength and could barely do a sit up.

But something happened during all of this. Although I couldn't quite do as many repetitions of everything as Liam wanted me to, I started realising that actually, I could do some of them. And having someone next to you offering support, especially along the lines of 'Just one more, you can do it,' makes one hell of a difference. And even he seemed quite happy with what I'd done.

By the end, my arms were shaking, sweat was running down my back and I was bright red from the tips of my ears to my toes. But weirdly, I felt pretty good (looking back, he may have caught me during an endorphin high). Either way, I signed up for a block of personal training sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment